Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife movie

*stares squinty eyed at it, as if it were an actual object*

I'm a fan of the book. The novel written by Audrey Niffenegger is best classified as a science-fiction romance. However, this is merely because the relationship between the time traveler and his wife is a huge part of the story. The romance itself is portrayed realistically and without much cheese. The science-fiction aspects of it are woven into the story and it isn't just a gimmicky plot device (like The Lake House). This really is about a man's difficulties experiencing involuntary time travel. The story is focused on him. His time traveling just happens to revolve around his wife. She first meets him as a child, visiting her several times throughout her childhood. They eventually meet in real time, but since it was an older version of him that met her, he has no idea who she is. Then as he eventually grows into the man she fell in love with, the difficulties with having a husband who disappears and reappears randomly get to her. If you ever saw the show Journeyman (which I doubt because it was cancelled after the first season even though it was great) then it was basically like that. The character in the book didn't go around helping people though. He would just be sent to random times and places. The only order was being transported to his wife and eventually his daughter. The book never turns into a Lifetime movie. I want to make that clear. Some people criticize that it does, but I just think the book is being realistic. There's not really any needless drama.

I want to make that clear because the recent trailer for the movie adaptation makes it seem like they didn't understand that about the book. Now I understand how people feel when movie studios misinterpret and twist a book they like into a movie.


Now, doesn't it look like The Notebook 2?? I mean really. It looks like romantic drama trash. That's fine if they're targeting women. It's completely okay. However, to me it seems like they missed the tone of the book. Also, I don't like how they depicted his time travel. In the book he just disappeared instantly. At least I remember being that way. I remember it being described as a popping sound when he disappeared. I could be wrong. Anyways, if I hadn't read the book, I would not be that interested in the movie. Now you understand my squinty eyed annoyed look at it.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I have since seen this movie. Yep, it was pretty meh compared to the book. YET, it was an almost exact adaptation!